19.08.2021: Expedition interrupted

Bad news from Greenland: Due to the increasing numbers of corona infections and the relating variants, Canada has closed its harbours to foreign ships. Until now the borders there were to be reopened on the 7th of September – this date is now in question.

Despite intensive efforts on the part of the Canadian Embassy in Berlin and Prof. Douglas Wallace of the Dalhousie University in Halifax – Nova Scotia, we have not been granted a special permit. Under no circumstances from a seaman’s point of view, we do not want to risk waiting in the upcoming storm season. For safety reasons for the crew and the ship, I have decided to return to Iceland and leave the “Dagmar Aaen” in Reykjavik for the winter.

We will, of course, continue our permanent readings until arriving in Iceland.

OCEAN CHANGE 2022 will resume in the planned sea area – only the stages and the timetable will change.

We are sorry for all those who crossed their fingers for us in hopes that Canada would work out.

We are disappointed as well, but again it is only one part of the expedition that has not worked out. Despite the difficult entry conditions, we were able to travel to the Faroe Islands, Iceland and Greenland.

In this present situation and for security reasons, I have decided not to travel on to Canada.

I hope I have your understanding for this decision.

With best greetings from board

Arved Fuchs and Crew

Sponsoren, Förderer & Partner

Veröffentlichung:

Saturday, 17. July 2021