The international youth project “ICE-CLIMATE-EDUCATION” will take place this year for the fifth time. As in last year, the camp will be in Húsavik in Iceland. The small community of Húsavik on the northern coast of Iceland offers the perfect conditions for all participants to take part in a most interesting project. At the same time as the camp, the Nordic Coastal Cultural Festival – “Sail Húsavik 2011” will take place in Húsavik. Arved Fuchs will be taking part in this maritime event with his ship the “Dagmar Aaen”, giving the camp participants the chance to spend a day on the ship.
As in previous years, interested students applied to participate in the camp by writing a project on one of three topics.
These topics included the following areas:
- The present situation of people living in arctic areas where multinational oil and gas companies carry out deep sea drillings very similar to the ill fated DeepWater Horizon enterprise in the Mexican Gulf in 2010
- The acidification especially of the arctic ocean by human induced CO2 emissions and overfishing on a global scale in the context of the International Year of Biodiversity (IYB)
- The fate of the highly specialized narwhal population threatened by the receding sea ice, deep sea exploration, increased marine traffic and warming waters
This summer`s participants come from eight different countries. France, Great Britain and Uganda are participating for the first time. Germany, Denmark, Estonia, Turkey and South Africa are also taking part.
This summer`s participants come from eight different countries. France, Great Britain and Uganda are participating for the first time.
The following program points for the Camp 2011 are planned:
- Lecture on climatic change (Dr. Dirk Notz)
- lecture on global warming (Arved Fuchs)
- preservation and Photovoltaic (Steffen Lembke)
- lecture on whaling (Ulrich Jordan)
- whale watching (North Sailing)
- sailing with Arved Fuchs to Dalvik
- an overnight stay in the Skeid Guesthouse
- a trip to the Krafla area
- and many other things
The students will hold a speech, before the camp begins, on the effects of climatic change in their countries. The students will participate in a game about global warming during the camp.
As in the previous years, a diary will also be written.
Sponsoren, Förderer & Partner
Seit dem 17.2.2018 ist die gemeinnützige in.media.vitae foundation der Projektträger des I.C.E. Camp. Weitere Informationen, auch zu weiteren Förderern des Projekts, finden Sie auf www.imv-foundation.org.